May 16, 2013

Corinthians - Boca Juniors

Copa Libertadores 2013, Round of 16

After losing two weeks ago on the same match, I will try once again with Corinthians. Even though they lost 0-1 in Argentina, and made a rather poor match, I would still consider them the favorites to qualify to the next round. They managed to put some pressure on their opponents after conceding the goal, and I assume that was a preview for what's to come tonight in the return game. I won't go into too many details, as I've said pretty much everything in the preview for the first leg. Corinthians are the reigning champions, one of the best teams in South America with some top class players (I'll mention again just Pato, Guerrero and Emerson), and they should be more than capable of overturning this result. Boca made a very good match two weeks ago, but I still rate them as just a shadow of their former selves (second from bottom in their local league, just 3 points above last placed Argentinos). They drew at home in the Super Clasico with River, than were trashed 0-3 by San Lorenzo, so no real sign of improvement. And if their local form is anything to go by, they have an appalling away record, without a single win in 7 games, scoring just 3 and conceding 14. And this is against mostly average Argentinian teams. They will be put under a lot of pressure in Brazil, and I'm expecting Corinthians to be constantly attacking them. So it's just a matter of 'when' they will concede the first goal. The line may look rather high, but this is the reality, and as I've said before, I still have Corinthians as favorites to qualify. GL!

Corinthians (-1 AH) @ 2.03, 4/10
Result: 1-1, LOST

No comments:

Post a Comment